letumgo
Site Admin

Cupid's Soft Hackle

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:27 pm

2008_0217_144607AA.JPG
2008_0217_144607AA.JPG (103.67 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
Cupid's Soft Hackle
Hook - Mustad Model R70 (Size 10 or 12)
Thread - UNI-Thread Trico (17/0 - This stuff is tiny)
Hackle - Pale (creamy colored) speckled brown Indian hen hackle (tyed in facing out over the eye of the hook and wrapped back towards the thorax)
Tail - Pale Orange Antron Yarn
Rear Body - DMC Light Effects Embroidery Floss (Mellon Blast E995 & Tangerine Zing E1024) - two small strands of each mixed together and wrapped to give a segmented body
Thorax - Four strands of Peacock Herl in a dubbing loop
Head - Tying thread
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Cupid's Soft Hackle

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Forgive me for bumping this old post, but it was created for Valentines Day so it seems appropriate.

(Plus I wanted to see what happens to posts that are older than one year. We are coming up on the one year anniversary of this web site. When you do a search of older material, it seems to max out at one year. I am wondering if the old posts will start to "disappear" when they are older than that. It will be interesting to see what happens.)

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Ray,
Just as good the second time around.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Ray,
Really interesting pattern. I am liking the translucent quality of the head/thread of this fly.
17/0. That is tiny! Is it prone to break easily with a rude pull? Also, have you tried this one on your favorite waters? It's interesting to know this. You are prob. bordering on the next Tups Indispensible or March Brown Spider!
As always, great job friend,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Doug - Actually the thread is surprisingly strong for it's size. I didn't have problems with breaking the thread due to to much pressure. I knew I couldn't crank down as hard with this thread. The only problem I had was when I occasionally nicked the point of the hook. The hook point would slice the thread right off. Once I learned to be more careful, I really enjoyed tying with this thread. UNI now sells this thread in black, but I haven't bought any yet.

I have not fished this pattern. I tyed a few of them and threw them into my fly box, but never tyed one onto the end of my line. They always seem to loose out to my POP fly pattern...

DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 am

Ray,
The POP fly was a great one! If you ever soak Cupid's Soft Hackle in your favorite waters, keep us posted on the results.
Yours,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.