Cocky May

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

Cocky May

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:05 am

If any of you are like me you will collect and use anything.
Sometime ago a friend of mine gave me some Macaw feathers. His wife works at a local Aviary.
Now I wondered for some time what to do with these. So here goes.
Here in the UK we have a Yellow Mayfly (Potamanthus luteus) which appears in late June and through to August. Sometimes the hatch can be big enough to prompt a rise, but generally is is spasmodic. There has even been conjecture that the trout do not feed on the adults but this is nonsense.
Buiklding on the 'Kite Special' way of doing a body, I produced this:
The body is 3 herl fibres twisted together, ribbed with fine gold wire and a hackle of yellow died partridge.
I was amazed at the result. When you twist the herls, the blue blends in to promote a really good segmentation effect.
Then I looked at the biots. Well...
The body is a single biot, no ribbing. However if I fished this I would think about a rib or at least varnish underneath it.
I am amazed at this effect and I am going to tie up some of these for next season.
By the way, the hook is a size 15.
So, there you are. Never look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. This feather makes a stunning body. So, go catch you 'polyanna' and grab a few feathers.
flyfishwithme

Re: Cocky May

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 am

Well well. This feather I have used is a primary wing feather and I have twisted it. The Marryat probably wasn't twisted. But again, a product that can easily be got if you have acce s to an exotic bird aviary and definitely a must for me.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 am

Yes I know how that is Mike. Yeas ago I was part of a fly dressing guild in Australia (No defunct) and we had access to some extrenmely hard to get materials - fur an feather - in order to recreate some old Australian Patterns. I still have it somewhere under lock and key back in Australia. I am now longer sure I should have them or even if I could get them shipped to me in the UK. Some of them would be fantastic over here.
My friend also gave me some feathers of a Rhea (South America) which is related to an Ostrich and not dissimilar to an Emu in looks but the feathers are totally different.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:09 am

MIKE, I AM BUT AN AMETEUR AND I DON'T MIND THE ADVICE A BIT.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:10 am

AND I CAN'T SPELL EITHER (LOL)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks for sharing, Philip. They are beautiful feathers and flies you created with them.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean