Post by dwiltshire » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:32 am

Hello,

Hook: Kamasan B175 #14
Thread: Moser Powersilk 10/0, olive
Hackle: Hen, badger
Tail / shuck: Zelon, mayfly brown, sparse
Abdomen: Turkey biot, olive
Thorax: Seal sub, amber

(Materials in the order they are tied in)

~Dave
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Traling Shuck & Biot

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:55 am

Beautiful little fly, Dave. Nice blend of materials and colors. Looks like it would be highly effective.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
dwiltshire

Post by dwiltshire » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks Ray.
Otter

Post by Otter » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:07 pm

On reading Skues recently, and I am that impressed with his opinions that I would rather hide under the bed then argue with the man, he suggests that fur bodies are the preffered material for nymphs.

I have to admit that apart from stripped Peacock herl I have have little success with nymphs and emergers tied with biots be it that they can and do look great from a tiers perspective.

Any here have much success with these types of bodys on nymphs/emergers and if so what were u imitating.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:27 pm

I've had very good luck with biot bodied soft hackles, especially in olive or green. I suppose the fish take it for a caddis larva (when fished on bottom like a nymph) or a pharate adult caddis when fished near the top. In fact, I once took two good trout on consecutive casts -- one on bottom in four feet of water then one right on top after removing the shot but not the fly and hitting the fly with desiccant -- on just such a biot bodied fly.

I've also caught fish on a small stripped herl bodied bodied soft hackles during a midge hatch.

Dave's fly would be an absolute killer sulfur emerger here, although I may change the the thorax to yellow before I steal it. ;)
Bob
dwiltshire

Post by dwiltshire » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:15 pm

I find 'biotted' bodies very effective. I believe this is mainly down to the obvious rib / segmentation - something I believe is really important in a fly.

Is it more effective than a fly ribbed in with other materials or techniques? I very much doubt it. However, I really like the effect of the biot and that brings me confidence: One of the most important ingredients for me when choosing a fly :ugeek:
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:30 am

Dave, that's a great looking pattern. I miss tying with biots. I have a lifetime supply, but once I started tying fur dubbed shaggy bodies, I haven't been back to the biots in a couple of years. I still carry them though. I especially like the sparceness of the trailing shuck. That looks like a very effect pattern for any number of insects. nicely done. I should dig out the biot box and put together some early season emerger SH's. They make a very manly looking fly.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com