Body: Alpaca, dyed chartreuse, inserted into split thread
Collar: CDC barbs, dark olive, inserted into split thread

Cheers,
Hans W
mvendon

Re: CDC & Chartreuse

Post by mvendon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Hans,

Great looking fly even though it would look mighty slim hackle wise when wet ;)

Best regards,
Mark
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Mark,
it would look mighty slim hackle wise when wet
You mean it might resemble a drowned dun? 8-)

Chers,
Hans W
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Hans,

Not sure at all if it would appear like a drowned dun or not. I do know, if immersed in moving water like a stream, that the hackle would be reduced to just nothing more than the stems that the fiber barbs are attached to. They in turn would stick up against the body dubbing. If a trout would be able to discern this from some other float by objects and identify it as food is anyones guess. It's a nice tie. Maybe in a still water situation it might be a little different, since CDC has a tendancy to move around on it's own and your not working against a flowing current. It's just my thought's and in no way do I mean any disrespect or put-downs on any of your ties.

Best regards,
Mark
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 pm

mvendon wrote:Hans,

Not sure at all if it would appear like a drowned dun or not. I do know, if immersed in moving water like a stream, that the hackle would be reduced to just nothing more than the stems that the fiber barbs are attached to. They in turn would stick up against the body dubbing. If a trout would be able to discern this from some other float by objects and identify it as food is anyones guess. It's a nice tie. Maybe in a still water situation it might be a little different, since CDC has a tendancy to move around on it's own and your not working against a flowing current. It's just my thought's and in no way do I mean any disrespect or put-downs on any of your ties.
If the fly is being dead drifted, it is essentially in still water, even though there's a current.

The collapsing fibers would only be a problem if you try to fish the fly on the swing.

I sometimes hackle wet flies with CDC; they work just fine.
Bob
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 am

Mark,

Dead drifting the pattern is indeed the intention.

Cheers,
Hans W
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 am

I like the idea and often wonder what Swarbrick, Jackson, Pritt and Walbran would have done with there hackled patterns if CDC was known about then. I tie quite afew of the old patterns in CDC and some of them using modern materials to see how they work.
While my photography is not good, I will try and place a thread on the forum where I have used a product called Body Quills and CDC. Will take a day so don't rush me and Hans don't beat me (hahahaha)
Great innovation Hans and a I think a good style of pattern.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:27 am

Hans,
When I look at this pattern, I see simplicity at it's best by the best tyer around!
This pattern would take fish the world over and that's really cool! Thanks for sharing of your time and talents with all of us.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:24 pm

flyfishwithme wrote:While my photography is not good, I will try and place a thread on the forum where I have used a product called Body Quills and CDC. Will take a day so don't rush me and Hans don't beat me (hahahaha)
You thought of something like this Philip:
http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=6&t=716

:D :D :D

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
RnF

Post by RnF » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:20 am

I fish a similar pattern in brown. It works great for midges in smaller sizes. The CDC isn't as slim as you would think, but some times a slim amount of hackle is best. Nice tie Hans.
Scott D