Hook: Kamasan B175 #16
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, light brown
Tail: Hen barbs, light dun
Body: SLF Finesse, olive with claret sparkle
Hackle: Starling
Wing: Tip of the hackling feather

Cheers,
Hans W
Last edited by Hans Weilenmann on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
narcodog

Re: Glanrhos Starling & Olive

Post by narcodog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:31 am

I have read about that style fly but they must not have registered . I think I'll tie some up, as I have several hackle tips lying in a box.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:08 am

I think I'll tie some up, as I have several hackle tips lying in a box.
While a separate tip will of course work fine, these are generally tied by wrapping hackle and then sweeping back the tip of same feather.

Cheers,
Hans W
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks, I have read about it but forgot the method.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:27 pm

John "johnno" Nichols has posted some background info to another forum (and also I believe to Mark's original forum):

===

Back in 1932 a well known English tier and author, Roger Woolley wrote a very good little book titled "Modern trout fly dressing". In this book he talks about the "Glanrhos" style of winging wet flies. The name comes apparently from a Salmon Beat on the Wye River in Wales and was recorded as first tied and used by one L J Graham - Clarke in the later 1800's

Anyway Woolley says this:

“The Glanrhos style of winging wet flies, in which the wing is formed as a single wing by the tip of the hackle that is used for the legs of the fly, first tied and made known by the late Mr. Graham Clarke.

The Glanrhos style of winging gives a very lightly dressed fly, and a killing one, too. The wing is formed of the tip of the hackle used for the legs, so is somewhat limited in its application to those flies that have wings and legs of something of the same colour.

The body of the fly is tied in as usual, then prepare a hackle for wings and legs by stroking down the fibres of it, leaving sufficient at the tip of the hackle to form the wing of the fly, and just enough fibres below the tip to form the legs of the fly.”

Sylvester Nemes in his book "Two Centuries of Soft Hackled Flies" also mentions the style and he says:

“I make my Glanrhos style of soft hackles differently, in that I tie the hackle by the stem, not the tip, then wind the hackle four or five turns until I come to the tip, which I leave standing upright and leaning back a little, or I bend to the left or the right giving the fly a dishevelled, unfinished, or crippled look.

The Glanrhos wing makes soft hackled patterns such as the Pale Morning Dun and Grey hackle very effective, particularly when there are many duns or spinners on the water”

Personally I prefer the original way of tying them, but if you feel so inclined to tie some, you may prefer the latter.

Ok so you are limited to a wing the same colour as the hackle, but in any event, it's a nice way of tying little soft hackled wets, giving a simple elegant fly:

In his book, Woolley has this style illustrated with the wing a lot more upright than these - almost vertical.(which says to me to fish them upstream) Also flat along the body. So you can have them in whatever position you like really.

===

I too prefer the latter approach - I prefer the look and also I think it will end up a bit more durable.

Cheers,
Hans W
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 pm

I have Wooley's book, I'll have to get it back out. Thanks.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Hans,
For me? And for all of us? Thank you very much! The fly and flies look terrific. The text is superb as well. Are these destined for New Zeland as well? And, have you been to N.Z. before? Or Alaska?
The one great benefit of viewing your post on this forum is that inspires us to research and to do! I'm getting out the starling skins for this evenings tyings. Thanks Hans for all you do for us....and the world!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Doug,

It has been 20 years (almost to the day) since I was on the South Island to fish. A return visit is well overdue, I am sure you will agree! 8-)

Affirmative to Alaska. Only one visit there, though - at least to date.

What about you?

Cheers,
Hans W

PS 28 of your states I have wet a line in so far - but working on improving on that number... :twisted:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:45 pm

They look lethal!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:02 am

Hans,
Sorry, my trips have not been very international. Mainly here in the states and Canada. Alaska, for me, is the dream trip of the future. I applaud and admire those like you who can and do travel the world! All of us know that you will take lots of pictures and share freely as you have in the past. May God richly bless you on this trip and also take you there and bring you back safely! Is your family going too?
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.