Dark Watchet

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Liam

Re: Dark Watchet

Post by Liam » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks Bob. I actually haven't read Pritt yet so I guess I revealed my ignorance. :) I've never tied it with the coot wing- is it less fragile than the jackdaw? I break the jackdaw a lot. I've started using feathers from the back of the jackdaw neck because they seem to wind a little better.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Liam wrote: I've never tied it with the coot wing- is it less fragile than the jackdaw? I break the jackdaw a lot. I've started using feathers from the back of the jackdaw neck because they seem to wind a little better.
I haven't tried coot either. I have used water hen and haven't noticed a fragility problem.
Bob
Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm

Glad you said that- I just got my pick of GF's order of water hens today. I can't wait to try it. I bet it's a little more cooperative than jackdaw as well.
Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:46 pm

redietz wrote: Roy -
How do you handle the two threads? Twist them together and wrap both ways? Or just wrap on back with the other underneath, twist both together at the back, or just use one as a rib? If the latter, which are you adding dubbing to, the base thread or the rib?
Hi redlietz,
sorry for the tardy response, just been off at a couple of shows and a week fishing for wee troots in Ireland, awesome ...

To construct this little meanie, I waxed both threads with clear wax, wrapped the orange silk from the eye back to the rear, trapping the purple silk on the way down. The last turn at the rear is orange with the purple silk sticking out one wrap further forward (nearer the eye of the hook).
** The hackle is tied in by a few wraps of the orange silk behind the hook eye at the start of the construction. **
At the rear, I again waxed the orange silk with a smidgeon of tackywax and touch dubbed the water rat on to the orange silk. Then I spun the threads together a dozen turns to trap the dubbing.
This 'rope' was then wrapped forward along the body, ensuring that the thread rope was UNwrapped as it went up the body, allowing the two threads to unwind and showing alternate wraps of orange and purple silk with the rat peeking out between them.
I found this an excellent exercise in thread control.
Just think, a hundred years ago fly dressers did not have bobbin holders !! I cheated and used one for the orange thread, none on the purple. I reckon it would have been more difficult with two bobbin holders and virtually impossible with none.

The photo was taken under a 100W Daylight bulb as the fly lay on my sight board, it could be MUCH better.

Thank you all for your input.
Happy St. Patrick's Day

Roy
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:10 pm

A very nice fly Roy, you really must have good contacts,
water rat [vole] no less!!!
Roy

Post by Roy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:45 am

DNicolson wrote:A very nice fly Roy, you really must have good contacts,
water rat [vole] no less!!!

Donald, would you like some, I can spare a wee patch, no probs

Roy
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Very kind of you Roy, but I have not tied a fly in well over over 14 months.
It would be wasted on me, I seem to have awkward cataracts, I don't know when I'll be tying again.
Bui I can use my laptop with a magnifying glass.
Ach well! I've never died a winter yet. LOL
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:17 pm

excellent Roy

THE BUS CAME BY, I GOT ON THAT"S WHEN IT ALL BEGAN

I guess if we're letting our freak flag fly....I'm a deadhead too ;) :twisted: :twisted:
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:08 am

Roy -
Thanks for the explanation. Now, I've got to go try it.

Mike -
Do you know if muskrat is an acceptable substitute for water rat? I have plenty of that.

VERN-O -
I'd say that anyone who has listened to The Other One long enough to know that it has words pretty much automatically qualifies.
Bob