Post by Roy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Dark Watchet # 16

orange and purple Pearsall's silk
water rat fur
jackdaw throat hackle
skunkaroo

Re: Dark Watchet

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Intense, Roy! That's got Electric Kool-aid Acid Test written all over it. I can almost here Jimi in the background. :D

Nice fly.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Roy, even my internal automatic internet color adjustment feature is having a tough time translating the colors of that pic. But understanding the materials used and knowing your preferences, I can still see it as waxed orange and purple, although it does look like you used a special "Purple Haze" filter to get that effect. I especially like the "Little Wing" approach. :D

xcuze me, while I kiss the sky!

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:33 pm

nutters,
When this thing first saw wax greensleeves was at the top of the papyrus chart for the lute.

:shock:
:mrgreen:
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm

I like it a lot. I thought my computers col;ors were a bit off untill you mentioned wax. Very nice.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:37 pm

skunkaroo wrote:Intense, Roy! That's got Electric Kool-aid Acid Test written all over it. I can almost here Jimi in the background. :D
As a card-carrying Deadhead, it's my duty to inform you that the house band at the Electic Kool-aid Acid Test was most certainly not the Experience.

Roy -
How do you handle the two threads? Twist them together and wrap both ways? Or just wrap on back with the other underneath, twist both together at the back, or just use one as a rib? If the latter, which are you adding dubbing to, the base thread or the rib?
Bob
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 pm

redietz wrote:As a card-carrying Deadhead, it's my duty to inform you that the house band at the Electic Kool-aid Acid Test was most certainly not the Experience.
You old stoner :lol:
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
RnF

Post by RnF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Nice contrast. That should be deadly.
Scott D
Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Not to be a snot- but why use water rat? Edmonds and Lee call for mole. Do you like the water rat better? The tie is terrific, by the way.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

Liam wrote:Not to be a snot- but why use water rat? Edmonds and Lee call for mole. Do you like the water rat better? The tie is terrific, by the way.

But here's what Pritt has to say:

No. 1 8. LITTLE DARK WATCHET (Iron Blue Dun),
Hook O short.
WINGS. Hackled with a feather from a Jackdaw's neck, or
outside a Coot's wing.
BODY. Orange and purple silk twisted, dubbed with down
from a water-rat.
HEAD. Orange.

He actually listed four patterns with the same name; two of the others were winged, and the fourth is water hen & orange, with mole dubbing.

I guess either one is historically justifiable.
Bob