Grouse Spider Variants

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Grouse Spider Variants

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:25 pm

More playing with silk and wax... :roll:
Grouse spider Variant 1

On this one, wound red holographic tinsel onto the hook-shank, then orange pearsall's well waxed with dark coblers' wax over that. Then grouse hackle. #14 short shank.

Grouse spider Variant 2

Again the red tinsel, but this time yellow silk heavily waxed but with clear. Grouse hackle again.

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Otter

Re: Grouse Spider Variants

Post by Otter » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Another nice tying Andrew.

Wont be long now till our respective winters research and tying becomes more than dreamy thoughts.

A week to go till the rivers open here, and its dumped an inch or two of snow in the last hour or so. I'll be leaving the variants where they belong till I find regular success with the tried and tested. ;) Looks like water tempeatures will be well below where they should be for this time of year here, it may be a few weeks unless I find a few midge sippers till the spiders get a swim.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Otter wrote:I'll be leaving the variants where they belong till I find regular success with the tried and tested. ;) Looks like water tempeatures will be well below where they should be for this time of year here, it may be a few weeks unless I find a few midge sippers till the spiders get a swim.
Where are you? My river is open for grayling but it is weighted flies - little HE goldheads - that do the business for me at the moment, won't be fishing these for a while.

Can't wait to give them a go though - I will fish some of these buggy little spiders with confidence, come the time, which, let's face it, is half the battle! ;)

Andrew
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Exceptionally "fishy". Every one looks great.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:10 pm

The tinsel underbody gives the fly a nice glow. I especially like the version tyed with the yellow silk.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Beautiful looking patterns, GlassJet. Well done! I hope you never get tired of creating, tying, and posting these!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Very buggy looking flies. I am partial to the orange silk with cobblers wax. The more muted colors look very good.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Yes! wonderful effects on those. They look like gummy flies. I hope the fish like them as much as I like Gummy Bears.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Old Hat wrote:They look like gummy flies. I hope the fish like them as much as I like Gummy Bears.
:lol: Now that is what I call an endorsement 8-) :lol: