Snipe and Purple

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Snipe and Purple

Post by GlassJet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Back to the classics.... :roll:

Andrew
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Ruard

Re: Snipe and Purple

Post by Ruard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Andrew,

I love this one, nice juicy body. Did you use a standard wax? Where can you buy it?

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi Ruard,
Thanks. :) That is just lightly waxed - or relatively so, given my other efforts! :D

This is just a standard dubbing wax - you know the sort that is in a tube, like a lip balm, or a lip stick? Just get a length of thread, and touch it against the tip of the wax lightly and pull it through.

Roy gave me two brilliant tips that made all the difference for me: one was not to be shy with the wax (assuming you like the effect) and the other was to really wind that thread under tension... ;) It makes a big difference, I found at least. :)

Andrew.
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Glassjet, Nicely tied as usual.

1/2 doz of those went in the flea box last night - weather and the gods permitting one will get damp on monday :) 58 hours till the first cast since first week in october - man have i suffered withdrawl symptons.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Leisenring really liked his wax as well. He like to think that a heavily waxed thread melded to the hook when tied tight enough to be just before the thread's breaking point. He even mentions that if you aren't getting residual wax when you finish the head, there's not enough on it.

Beautiful tie Gj.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Glassjet,
Yeeooww, that's a nice fly. I love what you are doing with wax. It's kinda like those deep,
yet clear as glass finishes on show cars. It looks like you could jump in and swim around inside the finish. Great job! I'm liking your works more and more. Keep them simple..
always.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:38 am

Old Hat wrote:Leisenring really liked his wax as well. He like to think that a heavily waxed thread melded to the hook when tied tight enough to be just before the thread's breaking point. He even mentions that if you aren't getting residual wax when you finish the head, there's not enough on it.
I think he was spot on... 8-)
Roy suggested I tied Pearsall's onto the hook shank, and gradually increased the tension until it finally snapped. It takes a surprising amount! :shock: Then wax it, and I wax again the last bit just before I tie off.

I am playing with melting natural beeswax and mixing in melted dubbing wax, the sort out of a tube, and it produces a softer, tackier natural wax. Then start to put some cobbler's wax in there as well, and you can have a lot of fun! :) The effect of the different waxes on these silks, wound good and tight, produces some of the buggiest effects I've seen, at least to my eye. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what the fish think, and how the effect stands up to repeated fishing - though I am thinking the wax must provide a 'waterproofing' effect, and presumably must have some effect on the sink rate? Though can't quite get my head around that yet... probably negligible anyway.

This Pearsall's silk is amazing stuff though. I am reading some of the articles by Tommy Hanna, the irish tyer, and he gives a tip where after you tie on, apply steady downward pressure on the silk with the bobbin holder, then just jerk the tag, and with the sudden jerk the tag end of the silk just snaps off. And it does! Far neater than cutting... ;)

Andrew.
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Very nice translucent look with the wax. Makes me want to tie some myself (yours will look better, though).