Site Admin

Native American (Flymph)

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Native American (Flymph)
Hook: Daiichi 1550 #12 or similar
Thread: 8/0 Uni Thread-Orange
Hackle: Ruffed Grouse-Lesser Coveret
Ribbing: Fine copper wire
Body: American Pine Squirrel dubbed using the Leisenring method on Orange Uni Thread

A few weeks back, my son was out small game hunting and harvested a red pine squirrel and a Ruffed Grouse. In my opnion, a wonderful combination of "Native American" materials. The squirrel is beautifully fine and mixed between a reddish-ginger brown on top with underfur of dark blue dun. Of course the Grouse is a wonderfully mottled dark brown and reddish brown.
I've been anxious to combine these two materials to see the result (which is above). You can not tell from the pic, but there are subtle hints of the reddish fur in the body. Very pleasing!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
GlassJet

Re: Native American (Flymph)

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Soft-hackle wrote:
A few weeks back, my son was out small game hunting and harvested a red pine squirrel and a Ruffed Grouse. In my opnion, a wonderful combination of "Native American" materials.
Mark
... then tie a fly, and go out and catch fish with it. Now that's living the dream! :) Very cool.

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Actually I can see the hints of red quite nicely. Proud looking fly Mark, befitting the name.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Very nice pattern Mark and soo well tied. There is a style and character to your tying that is pleasing to us all. Thanks for sharing. We look forward to more! What other classic combinations are there?
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
cicvara

Post by cicvara » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 am

-Very nice Mark, all your flies me delight.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 am

Mark, your flies are always a treat to see. This is especially well tied and a nice combination of materials. This fly is a nice illustration of what I like to see in a body with the dubbing graduating from very sparce at the bend to end up as a built up thorax. With the rib that makes for a great, natural looking body. There are very nice tones in the dubbing mix and they do compliment the hackle and the silk quite well.

I can see why you tied this on a #12. I've had several friends send me ruffled grouse and its tough to find a smaller size hackle without using one of the techniques used for tying in larger hackles on smaller hooks. This came out very nice. And the daiichi 1550's and 1530's are my favorite hooks, so the proportions just look proper to me. ;)

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks, all for the + comments.

William,
You are somewhat correct regarding the grouse, however, I've found some smaller feathers in the upper breast area and in the coverets and under coverets on the wings which might be suitable for smaller flies. Myself, I always tie the initial version of a fly such as this in size 12, UNLESS I have a particular fly in mind I'm imitating. This probably would do well in a size 14.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:53 am

Simply beautiful!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Very nice contribution Mark. Tied just just like the elders of yester years would have done it. Collect it from the backyard and take it fishing.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com