Pink Butt

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Pink Butt

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 am

Pink Butt
Hook: Wet fly #16
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, black
Hackle: Paradise drake breast feather barbs (or any other duck species with barred breast feathers)
Butt: Nylon, hot pink
Body: Peacock herl

Cheers,
Hans W
Johnno

Re: Pink Butt

Post by Johnno » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 am

In case anyone is wondering, the Paradise Shelduck or "Parrie" is one of ours; An NZ native. Maori name is Putangitangi.

During the early season they can try the patience to the utmost extreme by squwaking and flapping their way upstream of you for several pools. They pretend to have a broken wing to try and lure you away from their young. Nice birds but after a few repeats on a days fishing and they wear you down to the point where one wishes that a 12 guage was slung over one shoulder. I have been known to utter curses in their general direction that can be heard for several miles:

I had a nice brown of around 7-8 pounds lined up about 30 feet in front of me feeding away happily back in November. An absolute sitter. As I unhooked the fly from the keeper, a Parrie came in and landed right on top of it making a hell of a commotion. Exit one reasonable trout.....

But they do have nice feathers as can be seen in Hans' fly. Not only the breast but back and wings and neck. The CDC is (IMHO) the best there is to be found anywhere. And the younger ones are fine for eating, breasts roasted and washed down with a local Pinot Noir.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 am

Thanks johnno for the 'setting'. During my recent trip I have eh... enjoyed (not!) the antics of these ducks as I worked my way upstream on a number of streams, most notably on the Pomahaka and the upper Taieri.

I was also astounded by the number of these birds flying overhead in formation. They are hardly scare and rare, based on the number I saw during my visit.

Cheers,
Hans W
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Johnno, anyone who has fished the spooky browns on the Letort in central PA knows all too well the cursing and disappointment that can come from sharing gorgeous water with a duck. Fx#%!#g ducks!
I wish they tasted better.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

William Anderson wrote:Johnno, anyone who has fished the spooky browns on the Letort in central PA knows all too well the cursing and disappointment that can come from sharing gorgeous water with a duck. Fx#%!#g ducks!
I wish they tasted better.

w
I thoroughly concur about ducks, but I'm not sure I would call the Letort "gorgeous". "Classic" perhaps, and I certainly get a sense of accomplishment whenever I manage a fish or two from it, but to me, many of the sections provide a counter-example to old saw about trout living only in beautiful places. Around the quarry, I'd go so far as to call it downright ugly.

Oh, and ducks will take a dry fly.

Hans -
I'm sure it's the color registry on my computer, but that duck looks to be the color of red grouse to me.
Bob
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:23 am

Yeah, don't go up to the quarry. That is ugly. It's not majestic like a freestone stream, but I find those glides and vegetation gorgeous. It's like every inch of that water is perfect holding water. We'll just have to disagree.

This thread is as hijacked as any I've seen. Sorry about that.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com