Dark Ruby

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Dark Ruby

Post by GlassJet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:06 am

Silk: Crimson, heavily waxed with dark cobblers' wax. Hackle: Metz Genetic hen, furnace. Abdomen: split thread, lightly dubbed with hare's ear. Thorax: Bit more hare's ear. Fine gold rib.

I've tied this for when the Dark Olive's are on the river, Medium Dark Olives. This was a consistent fly on my water for much of last season, and when they were about i did very well with a GRHE tied with either a red, or furnace soft cock hackle (very similar to genetic hen, hence, i suspect, the generic term 'henny-cock' for genetic hen?) I did think I was fishing this as a dry at the time, ginking it up as i was, but I now suspect that i wasn't fishing dry in the true sense of the word, but fishing it in the film, allowing the movement of the softer and longer barbs to tempt the fish. It was a very effective catcher anyway....

So, that was the starting point for this fly. I went ofr the crimson silk with the cobbler's wax in an attempt to suggest the 'reddy-brown' colour of the insect, coming through the hare's ear. I may even gink it up a bit and fish it in or just under the surface.

All good fun, anyway! :)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Otter

Re: Dark Ruby

Post by Otter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 am

Interesting as always Andrew - and if the weather warms up a bit a few LDO's should make an appearance.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Otter, then I'd better tie some up in a #12 then... ;) the one in the photo is on a #14, should have said. :)

We've had a couple of days of beautiful sunshine here, should be warming things up nicely :)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Getting same here, but its cold to the bones with severe night time frost.
A bit of cloudy weather would not go astray, first sign of it and I will be taking a half day :)