Black Pennell

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Black Pennell

Post by GlassJet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 pm

back to the classics.... :roll:

Not a favourite pattern of mine this, though I fish William's Favourite quite a lot to good effect, which is essentially the same but without the tail?

This pattern has a certain sentimental value for me though, as it is the first pattern I tied myself on which I caught a fish - which is a moment I will never forget! I am self taught as a fly-tier - well until recently anyway - and the book I started with used the Black Pennell as the first pattern.

With the benefit of hindsight, this is a perverse pattern to start someone off on, and probably did me permanent psychological damage! :lol: It is not exactly the easiest tie, having a bit of everything as it does (floss body, rib, tail etc.) This is the first time I've tied it since I have been half-competent - and I still find it flippin' difficult! :lol:

Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And however bad and clumsily executed it must have looked back then, it still caught me that little brown trout and managed to fill me full of wonder... which should probably tell us all something.... ;) :lol:

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Otter

Re: Black Pennell

Post by Otter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:35 pm

:D If you think you had difficulty,

I used to tie them on size 12 & 14 partridge outpoint trebles for Salmon & Sea Trout without a vice. More like bloody pennells when I was done.
Great little fly for sea trout where I fished and accounted for its share of salmon in low water.