Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Post by GlassJet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 pm

This has to be my all-time favourite fly. :)

Tied on a Kamasan B405, Yellow silk, waxed. Abdomen split thread. #16

If I was only allowed one fly to take to my river, and I had to catch a fish with it, then this would be my choice. And probably this size too, though I've caught on everything from a #12 to a #22 with this pattern. And practically any time of the year as well. In the winter months, tied with a gold bead it picks up more than its fair share of grayling.

What would your choice be, for: "If I was only allowed one fly..." ? There will be a few Stewart's Spiders, I'll wager! :)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 pm

That's a loaded and unfair question, but I'll offer a response against my better judgement. A Hare's Ear Flymph would be a solid choice. I wish this was tied with a little darker silk, but it's the only decent pic of the HEF that I have. This or a Hare's Ear and Partridge. Or a Pheasant Tail and Partridge. No, No...a William's Favorite. When I'm just search casting with no convincing hatch evident..I would bet on a William's Favorite (the name just has a certain charm too). No...a Hare's Ear Flymph. I'm sticking with that. or anything with a partridge hackle. Told you...it was unfair. Again, this answer assmes a beautiful, medium sized, cold water trout stream on the East Coast...so as Hans is fond of saying...your mileage may vary. (what water? what season? what species of fish?)

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
GlassJet

Re: Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Post by GlassJet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:18 pm

William Anderson wrote: (what water? what season? what species of fish?)

w
My river, for me (small, rain fed, peat-stained etc ) or yours for you, practically any season - that's the point, hence why it is my choice as my one fly ;) wild brown trout and grayling.

Didn't mean to be unfair, William - just a bit of fun. ;) :)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)