Site Admin

Fur & Finch

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Fur & Finch
Hook: Mustad 3399A #14
Thread: Black 8/0 Uni-thread
Hackle: Upper rump feather from a Zebra Finch
Rib: Fine green wire
Body: A loose mix of red and black rabbit dubbed to the tying thread using a little water to help it cling to the thread.

Zebra Finches are great little cage birds available at most pet stores. They molt frequently, and I've been collecting their very small feathers. :roll: Hey! whatever works--Right? ;)

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
upstate tj

Re: Fur & Finch

Post by upstate tj » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 pm

8-) Now that is creative, and an awesome looking feather it is. Mark I have learned yet another lesson. Keep it up, there is always something new, talk about being aware of your surroundings. Are you friends with grasshopper?
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Soft-hackle wrote: Zebra Finches are great little cage birds available at most pet stores. They molt frequently, and I've been collecting their very small feathers. :roll: Hey! whatever works--Right? ;)

Mark
Great looking fly! :) Your local pet shop does a good line in that rare strain of bald finches then, does it? :roll: :lol:

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Beautiful fly Mark. The green rib is an especially nice addition, as is the hackle. Very attractive.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Andrew,
I love birds. My daughter owns two Cockatiels, whose feathers I have been looking at as possible hackle. I own two Zebra finches. Little feathers end up on the floor quite a bit from normal molting. Many are a beautiful shade of dun gray. So little by little, I may build up a nice collection for small flies. I'll have to see how well they hold up under tying conditions-how touchy they are when wrapping.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:39 am

Mark, that is a nice pattern, and as always beautifully proportioned. The feather with such a strong white/black marking would make a great feather to dye so you could get a hackle that was the shade you want with a black marking. When you dye most hackles you have to contend with the existing tones, but with this rump feather you get a clean, white canvas.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:06 am

Mark, fly is very nice! I like colour contrast wire - body.

How do You manage to take photo, without using any fly post? Glass and camera below? ...or?