Black Magic

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Black Magic

Post by GlassJet » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:28 am

Silk: black, Thorax: peacock herl, hackle: black genetic hen. Kamasan B405 #16

Apparently, this is an outstanding river and lake midge pattern throughout Europe. Again, from Malcolm Greenhalgh's book.

When there's midges about, these trout ain't gonna stand a chance! :lol:

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Black Magic

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:33 am

Andrew, all these classics are really nice to see. I never get tired of seeing simple spiders.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
cicvara

Post by cicvara » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:19 pm

-I like this.Nicely done.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Sharp! Simple yet very classy. It's like a stylish tuxedo.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:51 am

This fly originated in the 1960's by Frederick E Mold. In his only publication - "Presenting the Fly to the TRout" - he describes using it on the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey during a hot August day. He did not invent it as it was given to him by another local Yorkshireman. He used it as classic 'spider' pattern and also as a 'nymph'.
THis is his description:
Hook: Size 0, round bend, down eye
Body: Black silk from a point opposite the bard to a point two thirds along the length of the shank in the direction of the eye. Here I build a hump of fine copper wire and wind over it two twisted strands of copper coloured peacock herl tying them in with the black tying silk and ribbing them with a couple of turns of black silk for strength rather than effect.
Hackle: A minute jet black hen hackle - two turns only
Finish: A whip finish with the same black silk and a dot of varnish to seal this.

He also goes on in his book to say "This is one of my most cherished fly patterns. Fish it as a nymph with the delicacy and concentration it deserves. It will deceive trout anywhere and throughout the season, but I have done best in August when the weather is humid."

I placed a similar tie to this on the forum last year where I have used a red hologram ribbing over the thread. That fly is deadly with grayling.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:33 am

Hi Philip, thanks very much for the background, very interesting. :)
flyfishwithme wrote:Here I build a hump of fine copper wire and wind over it two twisted strands of copper coloured peacock herl tying them in with the black tying silk and ribbing them with a couple of turns of black silk for strength rather than effect.
Yes, Greenhalgh mentions that the original was tied with copper wire beneath the herl, but no more detail than that.

Cheers,
Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)