The Fly Fishing Bible of Nymphing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jcwillow777

Re: The Fly Fishing Bible of Nymphing

Post by jcwillow777 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:32 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am I tried different keyword searches and stumbled on the hook loop tyer on Walmart's website. It said there was one left so hopefully I do get them. You will probably have more luck looking at bait fishing shops.

hook-loop-tyer.jpg
I found the same thing, only different on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159UWG02/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Greg
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:37 pm

Wow ! 😳. There’s been enough orders of that book on the forum that one could easily start
a small bonfire 🔥 and keep warm during this cold winter’s day. 🌬☃️🤓!
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:46 pm

[/quote]
Awesome! I ordered that just now and will have by Thursday. Can never have enough because i am known to misplace stuff from home to the cabin. :lol:

John
[/quote]

Me 2. My problem is by the time I get to my cabin I've forgotten what I'm looking for!!!
Greg
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:24 pm

I got my copy a couple of days ago, and there's a lot to unpack in that book. I used to spend so much time trying to tie the perfect nymph pattern and here they are, using nothing but varnished copper wire. Good stuff.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:33 pm

I am waiting on the mail to complete my leaders & flybox for testing... ;)

ImageIMGP1254 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:26 am

Finally was able to find the loop tyer in stock and received mine.. Ditto Cheesehead... tying the loop with 5x does take some practice and nimble fingers. My tool is the small size and the loops are pretty small too...might have to find one of the large size tools to get some slightly larger loops...now that i thing about it, a larger tool would be nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:32 pm

I haven't started tying up any nymphs yet, but I got my loop tiers and I just ordered an Orvis fly box. I ordered the fly box from Bass Pro. I get a 5% military discount, which almost takes care of tax, and free shipping to the store which is only 5 minutes from my house. Think I'll rig up some with 3 spiders and some with a couple of nymphs.

I just finished reading the book, now to watch the videos, then re-read.

Can't wait to hit the river. :D

Greg
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Today I finished a box of Midge Magic #18 1xl variations mainly to try on the top of my "ladder" leader... ;)

ImageIMGP1368 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:00 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:38 pm Very good! You have to let us know how you like the Orvis fly/tippet box.

Right now I am using a thin hard, card. I made slits in both ends and secure my droppers in both ends. No flies attached to the droppers yet, just the loops at one end.

John
I think I'm really gonna like the Orvis box. I think I'm only gonna put 2 tippet rigs on each insert. I have 2 - 2 droppers rigs tied up with flies and attached to the inserts. I tried 3 rigs, but I think that may be an accident waiting to happen on the river. I'd hate to get a rig tangled up before I even attach it to my leader!

So game plan. Think I'll put 4 - 2 dropper rigs already tied up with flies, soft hackles, and 4 - 1 dropper rigs tied up with nymphs onto 4 of the inserts, 2 on each. Then for the 5th insert, I'll just put on at least 2 of each of the rigs without flies, in case I need to tie up something different on the river.

I already have a bunch of rigs looped and tied up and on slotted cardboard for later in the year.

The box isn't waterproof, so hopefully I won't go swimming again this year. That being said, I haven't been on the river for a trial run yet. I plan to open my cabin that last weekend in April, which is Trout opener. I don't like to fight crowds, so I'll probably wait til Monday to hit the river.
Greg
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:19 am

Ghillie,,,, I agree totally. I've been on a mission lately to try and like the long line Euro style nymphing. I've tried several variations of French, Spanish, Czech, and mono rig leaders. I fished them mostly on a 10'6" 3wt and a 10' 4wt rod a little. The 3wt has been the better of the two. I've utilized the Bible's tips and Dom Swentoski's mono-rig systems. I even boiled up a couple leaders tied with Maxima per John Pearson's vinegar and water formula. I was impressed with how the boiling improved the suppleness of the Maxima. Using Swentoski's 10" leader formula has worked best for me, and even with a bit of wind it casts well if the anchor is heavy enough. I told my fishing buddy earlier this week if I weren't catching so many fish with the method, I'd never fish this way. It is extremely tiring and the effort to cast these light rigs hundreds of times a day wears out my surgically repaired shoulders. I try to keep my arm close to my body as much as I can but the extended reach seems necessary a lot on the rivers I fish. It has been a good alternative to swinging in the winter when the fish are in slower and deeper water, but as soon as things warm up a bit more, I'll be back to swinging soft hackles most of the time. I did get lucky last week and put a 16" brown in the net. On a 10" mono rig line, 6x tippet, and the 3wt rod it was a fun battle and I was lucky and excited to land him....